Back in April, Mortimer, Emily Shanahan’s 3-year-old bulldog, started having stomach issues. She immediately brought him to the vet, but what was causing it was something she could never have guessed.
Emily said that the initial diagnosis was an unrelated vomiting syndrome. She and the vet, Dr. Doug Brum of MSPCA Angell, hoped that Mortimer’s condition would improve with medicine. Dr. Dough prescribed some medication then sent the dog home, hoping that this would resolve it.
However, the effect of the medication was on temporary. By mid-May, the poor pup got very sick that he completely transformed into a different dog. Unlike before, Mortimer would spend his time sleeping and not following his mom around the house. In early June, Emily was convinced that something was seriously wrong with her fur baby.
So, Emily rushed Mortimer again to the vet, where he underwent some X-rays. This was when they had a shocking discovery. There were 19 baby pacifiers in Mortimer’s stomach, which blocked his digestive system.
Apparently, Mortimer had been discreetly stealing the baby pacifiers for several months. Emily said that while they have two small children in the house, she never imagined that her pup would eat them. Not a single person in the family even noticed that they were already missing.
A Bulldog named "Mortimer" rests while sedated on an operating room table after 19 pacifiers were removed from his…
The vet team immediately started the operation, and through a simple endoscopy done by Dr. Erika De Papp, all 19 baby pacifiers were safely removed from Mortimer’s digestive tract. In a press release, Dr. Brum said that Mortimer must have started nabbing them since April, which caused the cycle of nausea and vomiting. Unfortunately, many other health issues have these same symptoms.
Good thing, Mortimer’s family had the urgency to pursue veterinary care. Otherwise, Dr. Brum said that this could have gotten much worse. Now, Mortimer is back home for his recovery. He’s back to his old self too. No doubt, they’ll make sure that harmful items like these will be out of their playful dog’s reach.