I used to think that dogs and other animals who got poisoned by antifreeze happened on purpose. Why else would a dog drink antifreeze?
I will tell you in a moment.
That’s because this ordinary household product can pose a huge health risk to dogs (and other animals) if they accidentally get into it.
Antifreeze is a product that can be a massive health risk to your dog and any animal out there.
Every year thousands of dogs and other animals are being poisoned by antifreeze, buy why?
When it comes to poisons, most animals have a strong instinct for avoiding foods that will make them sick, but, unfortunately, this instinct doesn’t apply to antifreeze.
Most of the time, even you would be able to know if something is poison right? Same with animals. They have an instinct to stay away from foods that could make them sick.
Why Do They Drink Antifreeze?
According to Wikipedia, some common active ingredients in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, a sweet syrup derived from alcohol or propylene glycol (PGW). You can see why antifreeze is so dangerous to animals.
PGW is generally recognized as safe for use in food or food processing applications, and can also be used in enclosed spaces. Here are some signs that your dog may have antifreeze poisoning.
Loss of Balance
Antifreeze affects balance and perception, which means that pooches might have trouble walking a straight line or staying upright.
If your dog is barking, growling, scared of something that isn’t there, he could be hallucinating. You might also notice that they won’t recognized you or another loved one.
Lethargic Or Diarrhea
If the dog just ate antifreeze, vomiting may be enough to prevent the poison from spreading, but it’s still important to go to the vet to get him checked out.
Just like you and me, when our bodies detects poisons, it will do everything to rid our body’s of it, and so will your dog’s body. This isn’t the normal, my dog always throws up, it’s continuous followed by diarrhea.
The chemical in antifreeze causes kidney damage and the kidneys are in charge of getting rid of toxins and chemicals by the bladder.
So when your dogs drinks antifreeze, the kidneys are working hard trying to get rid of the antifreeze causing your dog to start peeing every few minutes or urinary incontinence and being able to hold it.
You know your dog and their behavior. If your pup just wants to go off and hide in a corner from everyone, this could be a sign of depression.
In And Out of Consciousness
A sickly dog will usually try and conserve energy by laying down, but a dog that has been poisoned by antifreeze may have trouble staying awake. You may notice them alert and then at the same moment pass out. Go to the vet quickly.
Seizures or Shakes
As the symptoms get worse, you may notice your dog start to shake and then get worse and start seeing them seizing.
In closing… Get help immediately if you think your dog has been poisoned. Even a small amount could be bad news. Your vet may be able to protect your dog’s kidneys and remove the poison.
Be sure to SHARE this with any of your dog loving friends so we can help save more dogs life from antifreeze poisoning.